If you’re like most people, you’ll probably only buy a handful of mattresses in your lifetime. Since mattresses are not an everyday purchase, it can be tough to learn all there is to know about them. Ultimately, finding the right mattress for your home can be tough if you don’t know the basics. How do you know what type of mattress is best for your lifestyle?
For many people, buying a mattress raises the question “Is a memory foam mattress right for me?”. Lots of people love this style of mattress – but just as many don’t seem to care for it. When considering a memory foam mattress, these are the most common pros and cons we hear.
Pros of Memory Foam Mattresses
- Motion Transfer Resistance Have a partner who tosses and turns a lot? No worries. Memory foam mattresses do not transfer motion, meaning that just because someone else moves, it doesn’t mean you do. Motion transfer resistance can keep both partners in a relationship sleeping as soundly as possible.
- True Body Fit Memory Foam Mattresses contour to fit your body perfectly. This allows the mattress to “hug” you. It’s like you’re sleeping on one gigantic pillow. It’s comforting and comfortable.
- Pain Relief Having a true body fit can also relieve pain. By molding to your body, the mattress can help your spine stay aligned, relieving stress on your back and joints. The long term benefits of this extra support can help you sleep better and feel better during the day.
Cons of Memory Foam Mattresses
- Heat Retention Some people feel that memory foam mattresses stay warmer than other types of mattresses. This can lead to trouble sleeping for those who are naturally warmer or like to sleep under a heavy comforter.
- Initial Odor We sometimes hear that some memory foam mattresses have an initial odor. While this smell can be due to gassing, it dissipates after the mattress has been unwrapped for a few days.
- Higher Cost Many memory foam mattresses have a higher price point than their innerspring counterparts. This can be prohibitive for some buyers. Even though mattresses are a long term investment, price point can definitely be a barrier to entry.
Memory foam mattresses have a devoted following who swear by their sleep-inducing powers. While they’re not for everyone, they’re worth looking into. After all, if memory foam mattresses can give you your best night’s sleep, it may just change your quality of life.
If you have questions about finding the right mattress, feel free to give us a call. We’re always happy to help.